I used to eat lots of meat, at the least a pair occasions per day, and it took a big toll on my digestive system. Since then I’ve reduce down on my meat consumption and built-in extra vegetarian meals into my food regimen. One among my favourite vegetarian meals are tacos made with a walnut and lentil “meat.”
This meal is filled with good fat like omega-3s from the walnuts, that are additionally anti-inflammatory and nice for the mind. The walnuts and lentils present protein and fiber to maintain you happy and assist in digestion.
Even if you happen to imagine that meat is the best protein, we must always all try to chop down on our consumption because of the huge quantity of CO2 the meat business contributes to our environment. Including just a few vegetarian meals to your meal plan every week is not going to solely assist your digestive system, but in addition the surroundings.
Walnut and Lentil Tacos
[Photo courtesy of Josh Graham]
Prep Time: quarter-hour (plus 3-12 hours if soaking walnuts)
Prepare dinner Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 tacos
- 2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 onion, julienned
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- Salsa and guacamole
- Soak the walnuts in water for 3-12 hours, altering the water each few hours.
- Add the dry lentils to a pot of boiling water. Cut back the warmth to a simmer and prepare dinner till tender, round 15-20 minutes.
- Warmth 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan over medium warmth. Add the sliced onions and sauté till softened.
- Whereas the onions and lentils are cooking, rinse and drain the walnuts. Add the walnuts, spices, and olive oil to a meals processor. Pulse till the combination has a consistency that resembles floor beef.
- As soon as the lentils have cooked, drain and funky.
- Fastidiously peel off just a few leaves of the cabbage. Peel them off from the underside close to the stem to maintain them intact. Wash and pat dry.
- To assemble your taco, add the lentils, onions, and walnut “meat” into your cabbage. Prime with cilantro, salsa, and guacamole.
Word: Leftovers maintain properly in an hermetic container within the fridge and are a scrumptious meat various for salads.
Want extra vegetarian taco inspiration?
Candy Potato Tacos